Living in L.A. equals driving in L.A. So if you are moving to L.A. the first thing you need to get is a car! Your car will be your best friend, your lover, your date for the day or if things get worse even your bed sometimes. You will spend a lot of your time driving around town going from one audition to another.
If you are just here for a month or you haven’t bought a car yet you can drive around city via uber or lyft (apps for your smartphone), but it all eventually comes down to buying a car.
Here are some ideas how to make your car a comfy place:
- Get an air freshener if it smells odd. You can also put some vanilla on cotton balls and leave them in the car or keep a container of ground coffee, citrus oil or mint extract in the car. Soon the car will smell like coffee rather than any nasty smells.
- Ask friends about a great radio station. Which one do they prefer to listen to when being in a traffic jam?
- Get a navigation system. (If you’re phone breaks down you are still able to make it to your audition!)
- Get a smartphone adapter for your car (with more than one usb slot so you can use the other ones for your navi and your ipad or whatever)
- Buy some CDs or go to the next radio shack to get your smartphone hooked up with your car so you can play spotify all day.
- Hook your phone up with an app that shows current traffic delays. “Beat the traffic” is supposed to be a good one!
- Keep a stack of updated headshots and resumes in your car. Just in case…you never know.
- Have a towel in your car. (Summer can get hot, trust me, sometimes you just want to dry yourself before going into an audition!)
- Keep a pair of sunglasses in your car.
- Keep some quarter dollar coins in your car for parking (you can also pay with your debit or credit card, but still). Make sure you put them somewhere nobody can see them. Cars have been broken in just for a stash of coins.
- Keep some plastic (I’d prefer paper) bags in your trunk for last minute grocery shopping.
- Keep a fresh pair of socks and a T-shirt for emergency change in your car. You’ll thank me later…
And just feel comfy in your new car!
Categories: Living in L.A.